Having a bright white smile is what most people desire. However, maintaining a bright smile isn’t easy with the plethora of foods that can stain your teeth. Luckily with advancements in dental technology, there are different ways to whiten your teeth professionally. Did you know there are foods that will help naturally whiten your smile as well? They might not have the same effects as professional whitening, but consider these food options to help whiten your smile naturally.
- Strawberries: They contain an enzyme called malic acid that can help to brighten your smile. Consider mashing up strawberries and rubbing them on your teeth. Leave them for five minutes then rinse with water, brush and floss as usual.
- Carrots: These healthy veggies act as a natural stain remover by increasing saliva production, which is your mouth’s self-cleaning agent. The vegetable can also kill bacteria that causes bad breath, and the crunch factor works to scrub teeth clean.
- Pineapples: Eating tart fruit, such as pineapples, causes the mouth to produce more saliva which cleans teeth naturally. Beware of using lemons or overdoing it on tart fruit; too much acidity can damage teeth.
- Baking Soda: Your best bet is to brush your teeth with a commercial toothpaste that contains this mild abrasive. A study found toothpastes that contain baking soda, do a better job of removing plaque than toothpastes without the ingredient.
- Yogurt: Dairy products contain lactic acid which helps protect teeth against decay. Researchers think the proteins in yogurt bind to teeth and stop them from being attacked by harmful acids that cause cavities.
Although professional whitening options may offer faster and more effective results, use these foods as a natural avenue to help brighten your smile. Sub out foods that are contributing to staining your teeth and sub in these naturally healthy options.