Holiday treats like fudge, eggnog, gingerbread cookies and peppermint candies are everywhere during the holiday season. Remember, foods that are high in sugar speed up the tooth decay process if proper oral hygiene is not practiced.
We’ve compiled a list of some Low-Sugar Dessert Recipes for you to enjoy over the holiday season, without rotting your teeth!
It’s a simple, 4-ingredient, 3-step process, but requires you to move quickly. You only need 4 Ingredients to make them-
- Shredded unsweetened coconut
- Coconut Oil
- Pure maple syrup or alternative (see extra notes below)
- Lemon rind
It only takes 3-steps to make them:
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well
- Freeze until firm
- Chop into bars and enjoy!
The best kind of shredded coconut to use is Macaron style shredded coconut or Desiccated coconut, thanks to its extremely fine milled texture. Using this form will allow the bars to hold significantly better.
To keep these paleo vegan lemon coconut bars 100% sugar-free and keto friendly:
Use a monk fruit sweetened maple syrup (NOT sugar-free syrups sweetened with sucralose) or a sugar-free syrup which has a similar texture to pure maple syrup and is sticky.
Healthy no bake white chocolate cranberry cookies which take less than ten minutes to whip up and are so delicious! Naturally gluten free, grain free, vegan, dairy free and with a tested high protein and paleo option!
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free oat flour (for paleo version sub for 1/2 cup coconut flour)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup granulated sweetener of choice (I used coconut palm sugar but you can any granulated sweetener)
- 1 scoop protein powder (optional)
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup cashew butter (can sub for any nut butter)
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup (sub for pure maple syrup for paleo version)
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chunks/chips (I used homemade dairy free ones)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- Dairy free milk of choice*
- Line a large plate with baking paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours with the granulated sweetener, protein powder (if using it) sea salt and mix well.
- Stir through the melted nut butter and sticky sweetener of choice and mix well- Mixture should be very crumbly. Add the white chocolate chunks and dried cranberries and mix until fully incorporated.
- Using a tablespoon at a time, add more dairy free milk until a thick batter is formed.
- Using your hands, form into small bite sized balls and press firmly onto the lined plate and press to a cookie shape. Use a fork to cross each cookie. Freeze for 10 minutes or refrigerate for 30 minutes until firm.
* Coconut flour brands differ. Depending on that, and also if you use protein powder or not, you may need significantly more dairy free milk.
* Cookies can be left at room temperature but will be soft and fudge like. For firmer cookies, keep refrigerated.
The only thin mint recipe you will need. High in protein. Low in sugar, Gluten-free thin mint cookies that are raw and vegan! Protein thin mint cookies that are sweetened with stevia!
- 3/4 cup hemp protein powder
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp peppermint extract or a drops of peppermint essential oil
- 1/2 tsp liquid stevia
- 7-8 tbsp coconut oil, liquid
- Place all ingredients into a bowl and stir together.
- Scoop onto a plastic container.
- Then set in fridge or freezer to set.
- Keep refrigerator or store in freezer
You can’t celebrate the holidays without cranberry sauce!
- 1 (12 oz) bag of fresh cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 3 cups peeled and chopped gala apples (about 3 small)
- 5 Tbs raw sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
Put all ingredients into a medium pot over medium heat. Cook until cranberries pop and mixture thickens, about 20 minutes if your cranberries are frozen. Less if they’re raw. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Another one of our favourite festive low sugar desserts is the Low Carb Raspberry Cheesecake Cookie Recipe from Wholesome Yum.
The sweets, treats and stress that the holidays bring can take a toll on your teeth, so make sure you schedule an appointment with your dentist as soon as possible after the festivities start to calm down.
Contact us to set up your post-holiday cleaning! Enjoy your holidays!